About AAT Kings
At AAT Kings we strive to represent the very best that Australia and New Zealand have to offer. Our people are warm, friendly, engaged and enthusiastic. We love a laugh and a good story. We celebrate our great characters and our authentic personalities. We are always respectful, we deliver brilliant service and we are proud of our heritage and our culture.
Our goal every day is to share Australia and New Zealand with our guests and to bring these two amazing countries to life.
Come and see Australia and New Zealand with us!
AAT Kings offers a huge range of holidays. No matter which way you choose to travel, we’ll bring each destination to life. A holiday is your time to relax, so at AAT Kings we’ve included just about everything so you don’t have to worry about a thing. Expert commentary, stress-free travel, luxury air-conditioned vehicles, and all the must-see highlights. Our friendly Travel Directors and Driver Guides will enhance your experience with stories, local knowledge and sense of fun.
History of company
AAT Kings’ story began in 1912 when the Pyke family pioneered coach touring in Australia. Starting with self-drive car-hire in 7 seater vehicles in Sydney, we expanded to guided sightseeing tours. By the 1960s, the company, then known as AAT, had become Sydney’s largest tour operator and in the 1980s we teamed up with pioneering adventurer Bill King’s Northern Safaris, which ultimately led to the creation of what we know today as AAT Kings.
TYPES OF EXPERIENCE
- 1912 Pyke family, led by Colonel Pyke began the first daily route from Sydney to Blue Mountains.
- 1920s Due to the success of this daily Blue Mountains venture, the Government intervened and the first bus tour operator license (Touring Vehicle 001) was assigned – this license is still held by AAT Kings.
- 1920s Pyke family expanded, offering guided tours to Katoomba and Jenolan Caves in seven seater cars.
- 1935 Pykes introduced 14 seater coaches to Katoomba & Jenolan Caves tours.
- 1945 Grenda’s Bus service founded in October when George Grenda purchased four routes from Shaves Bus services in Dandenong.
- 1967 Bill King launched Bill King’s Northern Safaris.
- 1973 Grenda’s Bus service purchased Blue Line Tourist Coaches Sydney.
- 1975 AAT Coachlines was formed in July by a TAA & Mayne Nickless joint venture with the purchase and amalgamation of Pykes Tours, Grenda's Melbourne coach operations & Grenda’s Blue Line Tourist Coaches Sydney.
- 1980 AAT Coachlines purchased Bill King's Northern Safaris in December & tours were operated as Bill King’s Australian Adventure Tours.
- 1983 AAT Coachlines was purchased by Mayer Page and Geoff McGeary, proprietors of Australian Pacific Touring (APT).
- 1984 AAT Kings was formed with amalgamation of Grand Central Tours, Bill King’s Australian Adventure Tours & AAT Coachlines (formed in 1975).
- 1985 Bill King parted ways with Page & McGeary in September.
- 1993 AAT & APT split in June, with Page taking control of AAT Kings and McGeary Australian Pacific Touring.
- 1997 AAT Kings was purchased by The Travel Corporation.
- 1999 AAT Kings began operations in New Zealand.
- 2012 AAT Kings purchased APT’s Day Tours & Short Breaks.
- 2013 AAT Kings in October undergoes significant rebranding, launching new focus and tagline “Bringing Australia & New Zealand to life”.
- 2014 (Aug) AAT Kings announced strategic investment in Down Under Tours, Cairns, opening a significant footprint in northern Queensland.
- 2014 (Nov) Off the back of a launch of first-of-their-kind glass roof coaches in Sydney, AAT Kings launches double decker ‘Sydney Sightseeing’ product in Sydney, the vehicles can cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge due to an innovative see-through roof.
We offer a wide range of Day Tours, Short Breaks and extended Guided Tours right across Australia and New Zealand. Whether you’re looking to explore Australia’s stunning outback, the reef and rainforests of tropical Queensland, the rugged beauty of Western Australia and the Kimberley, the wilderness of Tasmania, cosmopolitan Sydney and Melbourne or the majestic landscapes of New Zealand, we are the coach tour specialists that can take you there.
We’ll take you to all the must-see sights and even share some stories and ‘Hidden Gems’ along the way that you’d never have known if travelling on your own.
Points of difference:
- Guided Holidays
- Locations: Australia and New Zealand
- Duration: 4 to 21 days
- Fully guided holiday experience with AAT Kings’ passionate and knowledgeable Tour Directors and Driver Guides
- All the must-see highlights are included with VIP entry to major sights
- Immersive cultural experiences
- Choice, flexibility and freedom
- Comfortable accommodation, many meals including breakfast daily and luxury coach transport
- Travel wallet and map included in documentation
- First Choice holidays offer premium hotels in centrally located areas, more meals and sightseeing inclusions, plus unique 'You’re Invited' dining experiences.
- Best Buys holidays offer great value, comfortable accommodation within easy access to city centres and more free time.
- First Choice holidays offer premium
hotels in centrally located areas, more
meals and sightseeing inclusions, plus unique
'You’re Invited' dining experiences
- Best Buys holidays offer great value,
comfortable accommodation within
easy access to city centres and more free time
Points of difference:
- Inspiring Journeys
- Locations: Top End, Red Centre, Tasmania and the North and South Islands of New Zealand
- Duration: 3 to 22 days
- Immersive and boutique small group journeys
- Average number of guests: 12-20
- Rich experiences that allow your client to shape their holiday
- Local, authentic and innovative cuisine offerings
- Luxury accommodation and vehicles including coaches and 4WDS
- Experienced and professional AAT Kings’ Driver Guides
Terms & Conditions
View all the fine print here - it's really not that bad!
View AAT Kings's terms and conditions